Organized in 1941, the Oswego Garden Club actively participates in promoting civic beauty and in aiding any program for the protection and appreciation of native flora.
In 1949 Oswego Garden Club members set about beautifying the newly created George Rogers Park. They planted an array of trees and shrubs, many of which still grace the park. Early members left a legacy of contributing their time, effort, and financial support to local projects which the Club has continued to this day.
Many of Lake Oswego’s Historic Landmark homes were built or lived in by members of the Oswego Garden Club
Their homes, gardens and legacy remain with us today
“Early Blooming Days”
As told by Angie Trueblood in 1964:
“It all started because a group of women belonging to the PTA were successful in fund raising through Plant Sales and Flower Shows. One day in October of 1941 Elsie Eastman asked a few ladies to meet to discuss forming a garden club. We decided to call a meeting at the school house (now Lakewood Center) and invite anyone interested in learning about flowers and gardening to come and join us”
Elsie Eastman, founding member and first President of the Oswego Garden Club remarked: “We can’t have flower shows without lots of flowers.”
And so it began…
“The objects of this Club shall be to:
- Aid and encourage the owners of small gardens to acquaint them with the best and latest methods of gardening
- Bring to their attention new varieties of plants
- Encourage the use of the proper botanical names of plants and flowers
- Promote civic beauty and aid as far as possible in any program for the protection and appreciation of native flora.”